Keeling Gaines Pulliam, Jr. and Charles Ellsworth McCormick of Lexington, Kentucky, and Morris Julian Crutcher of Detroit, Michigan, organized the Mercury Body Corporation in early 1920.
In March of 1920, C. E. McCormick submitted a speedster body design to the US patent office. It was approved in November of that year.
Pulliam, Jr. moved to Los Angeles in 1921 and established a western sales branch in Los Angeles.
Mercury's two-passenger speedster body was originally designed for the Ford Model T chassis, but in 1923, they introduced a slightly modified version for use on Chevrolet 490 Superior chassis, Mercury's products were sold either direct or via regional Ford and Chevrolet dealers in the United States and Canada.