Glenn Robey of Omaha obtained this car around 1959. It’s unclear at this point how new the car was, but Robey was not the builder. He does not remember the name of the man who sold it to him. It was Robey who ran it as the #8-Ball. He raced it at Sunset Speedway in Omaha, Playland Park, in Council Bluffs; Harlan; Denison; Hamburg, in Iowa; South Sioux City; David City and Columbus Nebraska. Robey sold the car to Dale Roth of Bancroft around 1962. Roth raced at Columbus and at Riviera Raceway at Norfolk, Nebraska, with great success. Roth sold the car to a man from Columbus in 1967 or 1968. At some point Harry Hoff raced it in the Hastings area and did very well with the car.
The man from Hastings sold the car to LaVern Rasmussen of Ord, Nebraska, around 1969. Rasmussen ran the car at the Sargent, Nebraska, race track. Sargent advertised at this time that its track was the “worst track in the country.” Rasmussen sold the car to Ron Hurley from Hueling, Nebraska, around 1972.
Hurley sold the car to Les North from Sargent. North was a Methodist Minister. He was fond of telling his flock that Sunday was a day of rest. So following church services on Sunday morning, he would be found “resting” at the racetrack in Sargent with his Hudson race car. North sold the car to Brad Grible of Sargent who sold the car to Gene Dudley of Sargent who then sold it to Brad White of Sargent.
The car raced up through the early 1980s, even racing against sprint cars. Sargent was one of those tracks that had a ‘run-what-you-brung,” class, meaning anything and everything was legal from modified stock cars to supermodifieds to sprint cars.
The old Hudson was finally retired and came into the possession of Dave Mason of McCook, Nebraska. Mason parked it along Hiway 6 a few miles east of McCook, where it sat along with three other race cars for many years. While on a trip to Denver in 2007, museum curator John MacKichan, passed the cars and left his business card in Mason’s mailbox. Mason called MacKichan and eventually a deal was struck to purchase the car. It came to the Smith Collection in 2008 and sits here much as it did when it was next to Hiway 6 in McCook.
Remarkably, the car has remained nearly unchanged from its debut at Sunset Speedway in 1959 until it ended its racing career in 1980s.