The Chicago Rawhide Special was built by Lew Welch in 1935. Lew Welch left Ford and became owner of an auto parts plant in Novi, Michigan. The auto parts plant supplied parts to Ford Motor Car Co. and also for the first time Welch became the owner of two race cars entered in the Indianapolis 500, but the two car Ford V-8 powered team was also a miserable failure.
One car, driven by Herb Ardinger, was too slow to make the starting lineup and no qualifying attempt was made with the second car.
The car carried the number 54 and bore a striking resemblance to the Tucker-Miller cars of 1935. The Chicago Rawhide Oil Seal Special, driven by Herb Ardinger, qualified with a fine 121.983 and started on the front row in the third spot.
A connecting rod failed on the 106th lap and the Chicago Rawhide Special effort finished 22nd.